View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Dr Archeville

Default [IW] Non-Nazi Germany-Dominant World?

Starting some work on a GURPS Infinite Worlds/Supers game, where PCs will visit an assortment of alternate worlds.

I want to do one that's German-centric, but not Nazi-centric. A world that built upon the cultural and intellectual advances of the country, and which came to an alpha position in the world b/c it really is that good, not b/c some goose-steppers forced it on others. Well, maybe no more forcefully than America's done as it has risen to prominence on the world stage.

One big concern is to figure out how WW I and WWII went there.

This would be a non-hostile alternate Earth -- or at least not overtly hostile -- but as such that'd mean there'd be little reason to feature it, except as a place for dimension-hoppers to vacation or to be invaded for its resources by other worlds (perhaps when one of the Nazi-dominant worlds invades, and the PCs must stop them!).

I mentioned the idea to a historian friend, who gave me this advice:
Quote:
I'd do something with the Hanseatic League. A world where the Mongols conquer the rest of Europe, or maybe the Turks, (avoiding Unfortunate Implications, just saying that all the wars in the area tear them down) but northern Europe escapes intact. As the invaders recede, nations reconstruct themselves along the Hanseatic model.

Hanseatic traders stumble across North America and Hansa cities spring up on the coast, and a couple of centuries later, you get a pretty solidly Hansa world, at least as much as our current world is Anglo-Saxon.
I'd appreciate help on fleshing it out!
Dr Archeville is offline   Reply With Quote