Old 12-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Committed Attack Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
Player: I Committed Attack the air!
GM: No.

Seriously, though, I would treat such a declaration as a Do Nothing maneuver and move on. I have little patience for rules-lawyering nonsense.
You seemed to be too focused on the enemy. But it's not the presence of the enemy that makes the person move faster. It's the partial sacrifice of defence that does it. Which you can do even when there's no enemy around. In fact situations can come up where you do a regular Attack only to find that before you can roll the dice, you either no longer can attack at all, or no longer have an attackable target.

People who normally move fast will go further than CA, and just pick a Move, which is broadly speaking just better than CA.

The issue was with the quantum rounding, and Reverend Pee Kitty addressed it in a way that solves it. (Also FYI this answer has been added to the uFAQ yesterday.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
OK, make an attack roll. No you can't skip it, we need to determine if you critically failed. Don't forget the -10 for not being able to see the target.
Malicious genie interpretations of players' declarations of their PCs' actions run the risk of causing social tension in a party. Better just address the issue in a clean manner instead.