View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Congratulations to Kuroshima and Ghostdancer!
Thanks, Cole. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Thanks, this marks our graduation to full blown authors ;) It's been a LONG road, and we had to dodge a large OGRE on the way, but we finally got there!
Damn Quantum Ogre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Can you give an example of how this differs from RPM and why someone who already has RPM moderately internalized would be interested?
Quote:
First at all, it's simplified, compared to RPM, with no greater effects and no energy gathering rolls (based on the ideas on Effect Shaping RPM Christopher used on Pyramid). The paths are also quite different, and optimized for the DF world view. Charms as such don't exist, and are replaced by Incantation slots. Think of them as Vancian Magic spell slots ;)

Building the spells is very similar to building RPM spells though, so the experience will make it easy for you to pick it up.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
The net result is similar to Ghostdancer's "Effect Shaping" variant of RPM from Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic, but adapted significantly to fit Dungeon Fantasy. For example, the concept of Greater and Lesser effects? Out the window. Gone. Unnecessary. Incanters are expected to make the laws of physics cry on a regular basis. :)
And a lot of other things to. Like an official way to summon critters with RPM, notes on vampiric spells, and much much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Congrats to both authors! Looks like a solid book.
Thanks, Rory. :-)

Quote:
Honestly I already think of Charms as Vancian spell slots in physical form, so removing the intervening step is cool
I thought so. :-)

Quote:
Does it do anything to help with the load out process? That I have found to be the RPM Achilles heel of pain
No. The whole point is that players get to come up with their own spells vs. a standard list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_coffin View Post
I'm going to have to buy it just to write a web app for it!
I look forward to it!

Quote:
Well, I've been hoping for an annotated example load out (or whatever the official term is) since MH1 came out and also more advice on the subject, so I was dreaming maybe this book covered such
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Maybe Pyramid article.
But really its pretty situation specific so my advice is post a thread RPM/Incanter Spell loads and post the party composition, point level, skills of the mage and likely missions and people are likely to chime in.
Load-outs are things that you need to decide in game. I give a few exampleson my blog, but they are just that. Examples. I doubt any published work that was just spell load-outs would be in any way popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That sounds very different. Nicely done.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Now I want to see a dungeon crawl with as many types of spell systems in it as we can fit.
It's quite different. It's like a toolkit in metric and standard - some fit the same things, most don't

Quote:
BTW, anyone wondering on the names of the Incantation paths, they aren't in the preview PDF, but maybe you should read the index carefully...
I kind of posted them in my blog thread (it's not anything secret squirrel so I felt comfortable in showing it).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote