View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
CardinalBiggles

Default Re: Will the Space Colony children be the Startravelers?

I'm sure that there are aspects of physics that we don't know about at the moment. That does, however, mean that any technologies based on those unknown aspects are, currently, handwavium. In which case just pick a preferred handwavium and go interstellar with it.

Likewise with ideology, pick an ideology and a group that decides to follow it to go interstellar and run with it. As most ideologies are essentially non-rational I don't see why such an ideology would be any more likely to arrise in an artificial habitat than on a planet.

When New England was colonised the necessary technology, ships capable of crossing the ocean and associated navigational aids, had been around for more than a century and had become, relatively, inexpensive. They were thus available to an ideologically based group. Once interstellar travel technology exists and becomes more available I'm sure there will be many ideologically based groups setting forth.

Historically most primary exploration has been in search of resources and wealth. This drives investment in the technologies necessary for the exploration. Ideologically based groups tend to come later. They also tend to be much less well funded than profit based groups as, being ideology based, they cannot easily get funding from outside that ideology.

Even if an interstellar travel technology were invented by a member of a group whose ideology was based around the need for interstellar travel, I don't think they would be able, by themselves, to raise sufficient funds to develop its practical application, unless it were incredibly cheap to build.

As I mentioned earlier, just pick your preferred handwavium and go to it.