View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #36
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Charms and Attuning to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If I want to introduce a ritual that allows a caster to transfer 'ownership' of a Charm over to another individual, with it no longer counting against the Conditional Spells limit for the caster, but instead counting for the person to whom it is attuned, what would be a fair cost?

I'm thinking you could only do this with people who theoretically have the skill to cast the ritual involved, so ones who have access to the Path in question or at least a Thaumatology default. It's basically so that teachers of magic can craft and pass on to students Charms that their students wouldn't attempt on their own, without then being responsible for metaphysically powering that Charm while it lasts.

The person being attuned would have to succeed at a roll to cast the ritual, but wouldn't have to gather the energy (as it is already gathered), and the character who made the Charm would be able to add a substantial bonus to the roll for the recipient by rolling against his own skill, ideally enough of a bonus so that a character who would never attempt to actually cast this spell could attune to an item with the assistance of his teacher. I was thinking of a bonus equal to the teacher's margin of success when rolling against his skill to cast the spell.

In setting terms, it's powering a Charm with the lifeforce and magic of a willing participant, instead of the caster's own lifeforce and magic.

Would this be fairly priced as an Enhancement to Magery (representing knowledge of this method in general), as a ritual-specific Perk, as a Path-specific Perk, Magical Style specific Perk (applying to all rituals within it) or as one Rules Exemption Perk that worked for any and all rituals?

Or would it need to be an Advantage of some sort?
p. 30 of Pyramid #3/56: Prehistory has your answer. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote