View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #38
weby

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z09SS View Post
The split DR for the Soviet vest is because the plate is rigid, but the nylon isn't. Solid 20, flexible 2.
Ah. that is not how armor is normally described in Gurps 20/2* would normally imply that the whole armor is flexible. And the plates, while not full "torso" in real life cover more area than some of the other inserts that are given full "torso" chest coverage. So I would list it something like DR 20F/4R.

Quote:
I included the armor upgrades because of a conversation at an open house Reed Knight was giving.

The thrust of the conversation is the tech was ready, but there weren't any customers to justify investing into production.

Nothing like a war to create customers for armor!
From my understanding the there is really not much difference between the SAPI and ESAPI as far as technology goes. The ESAPI is mostly just thicker...

Quote:
With Cold War money still flowing, there would have been such customers years earlier. I know we kept hearing about the PASGT vest replacement in my line unit. A replacement that didn't materialize until many years after I was out of the Army.
That was my point. In the original Twilight 2000 rules the cold war kept going. In the 2.0 rules the cold war ended in between and the text you have in the books seems to use the 2.0 rules timeline.

Quote:
I figure if we give the G11 the benefit of the doubt, we're on relatively solid speculative ground with body armor. Besides, GURPS is BRUTAL with firearms and the players need everything they can get.
As I said, it is fully fine to include them as TW2000 is alternate history.

Edit: Thus my original suggestion to include them but with a comment indicating that real life dates of service are later.

Last edited by weby; 10-16-2016 at 12:28 PM.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote