View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
Z09SS

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
The 6BZT entry has an error: The vest was normally issued with the frontal heavy plate that your listed weight indicates, but that heavy plate is 6.5mm thick titanium and is rated to stop and AK 47(5d+1) from close range as standalone. The rear normally had the 1.25mm titanium "shrapnel" plate. The vest itself is ballistic materials and I would guestimate it at about DR 1*

I would thus rate the 9.5 kg version with the two plates as about DR 20 front and DR 4 rear.

The SAPI Inserts are listed as 2 lb/plate. But really weight 4lb/plate.

and a possible minor error:
The US vest at the time was the original version of the OTV and not the improved IOTV. It is only rated to stop 9mm bullets(2d+2/3d-1) without the inserts so should likely have less than the listed DR 12, perhaps DR 10?

Then on to introduction dates.
A note to the effect like you have for other history changes might be good for the following:
The ACH was introduced 2002 in our timeline.
The ESAPI was introduced 2005 in our timeline.
That's more information on the Soviet vest here than I found anywhere else! More than a quick google too, where this thread is the second hit! 20/2* for the front, 5/2* for the rear?

Weights for the SAPI plates changed.

There was an in-play reason "stops 9mm" became DR12 in my group at the time. I can't remember why exactly now, but the original DR8 I had didn't match real world recollections of two of my players. So I am sticking to this.

US body armor upgrades languished in our timeline because of budget constraints which don't occur in the Twilight timeline; thus the early availability of the ACH and ESAPI.