View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Xplo

Default Alternate Talent pricing for math heads

So I was thinking about how 15-point Talents are generally overpriced compared to DX or IQ, how 10-point Talents are iffy, and how you're better off buying pure attributes than multiple Talents.

Proposed new Talent cost: number of skills ^ .5 * 2. Keep the 5-point cost floor if players would abuse its absence. This makes Talents with up to five skills cost the same as the alternate costs in Power-Ups 3 and then fall behind. Raise IQ to 25 points/level to better reflect its true value.

Incidentally, I counted 131 IQ skills (counting "families" of required specializations as one skill for the purpose), giving a cost of 23/level as a Talent, and 82 DX skills, giving a cost of 19/level, which is pretty close to their actual costs (if you include my proposed IQ cost increase). All things considered, pure attributes offer more bang for buck, but only if you're making a polymath - as it should be.

An "everything" Talent, for 244 skills, would be 32 points. So the next time someone wants to know what a +1 to any skill roll is worth in CP, there's a baseline...
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote