View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #37
Plane

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

I'm a bit unclear on is certain parameters of using Ceremonial Magic....

Like for example:

1) there are strict energy contribution limits when initially casting the spell, but are there any on maintaining it, or can any member contribute as much energy as they like for maintenance?

2) detractors who protest the ritual basically contribute 1 FP as negative 5 FP or something like that during the initial casting... can they also interfere with the maintenance costs?

3) how far apart can people be from each other to contribute to a ceremony? I remember there is a "Combat Ceremony" perk where everyone has to link hands (or staves), but I can't remember anything about proximity requirements without this perk.

4) if a spell indicates it can ONLY be cast ceremonially (like that thing next to Pauts in Thaumatology, I think Cone of Power?) then would the "casting time" already incorporate the x10 requirement and not be multiplied as standard?

5) specifically for Cone of Power: why is there a "6 to Maintain" when duration is worded as if it were indefinite? It seems like the duration is actually meant to be something like 1-hour?

6) Cone of Power says you can't use the energy generated to (directly) maintain the spell... but is there anything stopping someone drawing on it to cast "Lend Energy" to restore the spent reserves of one of of the people maintaining the spell, and then just having it spend from their reserves?

7) for skills like Lend Energy which say cost is not reduced for high skill... are they still cast for free on a critical success?

8) I know you need at least skill 3 to attempt a skill other than an active defense (so perhaps this doesn't apply to Blocking Spells... not sure)... does that mean if your target has Magic Resistance which reduces your spell skill to less than 3 that you can't attempt the spell on them at all (so you know this and don't waste your time or energy) or that you can try anyway and just consider it an automatic failure?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote