View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Sutibu

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy party compositions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
(the player gets an image of how he see things and if they don't go that way he can become a bit destructive until he is told, stop pouting! His characters also always seem to be set aainst the party being snarky and provocatry)
This sounds familiar.. I have a player who does the exact same thing. The problem is he wants everything to be very explicitly told ( Ex.: You enter a room. Its triangular and the walls are yellow. There are 3 paintings, a bed, a desk with a pen, piece of paper, some drawers, ther is a chest in the corner, etc., where my and the rest of the groups idea is that the story is formed by both the players as the GM.)
Also he doesnt invest time in finding out what his skills and advantages actually do in the game, but rather has an image in his midn what they can do and when this doesnt work he freezes the game by putting his feet in the sand until we give him some sort of compromise.. How do you deal with this sort of player?

(Sorry to go completely offtopic here!)

But to be ontopic:
I've noticed that a party needs to be a bit heterogenous. Minimize overlap of strengths/weaknesses. This not only makes the party less vulnerable to deal with what you throw at them, it also makes them more creative and gives you more to work with as the GM. I tend to prefer the following spectrums be represented in a party:

Brain vs Brawn - This helps in establishing hierarchy in the party, divides the two major skill groups, and often provides comic relief.

Melee vs Ranged - Self-explanatory in fantasy combat situations

Tank vs Glass cannon - Someone needs to take the hits, someone needs to steer clear of hits.

This also helps:

Healers - Make sure u always have some way of healing in your party! I'd say 1 in a party of 3, 2 in a party of 5, etc.

Religist, Occultis, Thaumaturgist, Druid etc. - It helps to have someone in the party that you can easily feed plot information without it being obvious.
Sutibu is offline   Reply With Quote