View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #46
Phil Masters

Default Re: Discworld, Dungeonworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Some Discworld- Dungeon encounter ideas would be very helpful for me before Saturday.
One question I'd ask is - Who's creating and running the dungeon? These are often very artificial places. And there are hints in The Last Hero that the artificiality can reach video game levels.

One possibility is a vampire. They're long-lived and frequently obsessive, and when things start getting difficult for them, they can start to warp reality in their immediate vicinity, sometimes into shapes defined by alien tropes. One might, deliberately or accidentally, set up as a dungeon boss, maybe running some kind of training facility for treasure hunters that then warps into a real, lethal dungeon. If the PCs can thread the maze without dying, that might help restore the vampire's vision and hence restore his sanity.

Alternatively, you might have a very small god with a wayside shrine close by what was originally, say, a glorified archaeological site, favoured by treasure hunters. But after a few of them made offerings at the shrine for luck, the god recognised an opportunity. By enhancing and expanding the site, and making it just dangerous enough that visitors really, really felt a need for divine support, the deity ensured itself a steady flow of prayers. It's now the god of that dungeon - but few worshippers stop to think quite what that implies.

Either of which would grant a license for some very traditional dungeon monsters, but with a Discworld twist. Those goblins guarding treasure chests in 10' x 10' rooms? They're Discworld goblins, too downtrodden to consider moving into a career with better prospects. And the final room has a dragon in it, despite the fact that it's only 10' x 10' too. A couple of dragons, actually. Yeah, swamp dragons. Well, at least they're well fed ... on volatile petrochemicals.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote