View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #53
JLV

Default Re: Programmed Adventure Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
Somewhat annoying, yes. I saw Delta Vee first as an issue game; I think I bought the separate version of Universe rather than the Box Set.

I've also liked Universe for sentimental reasons -- it inspired me to restart a moribund Traveller game (blending elements of both systems together and making up more of my own rules to fill gaps) that ended up lasting several years, which in turn encouraged me to design and write RPGs.

Another solo game from SPI Ares stable was Damocles Mission, which was sort of Citadel of Blood In Space, combining chit/tile building and paragraphs. It was interesting for SPI in being almost entirely non-violent, Archur C. Clarke-style Rendezvous With Rama-type science adventure . I found the concept good but the execution a little dry.
Sadly, that last sentence pretty much described most of the "fantasy/Sci-Fi" games they came up with -- great concept, kind of boring in the execution. I never quite put my finger on it, except maybe that their style of rules-writing didn't mesh well with some of the concepts. (Allow me to note that they hit it out of the park with Albion, and the Pandora games, though...) I liked Damocles Mission. It was another one that could have used some more development time and a little more in-depth thought being given to it.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote