View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Re: Co-operative games

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb View Post
Thanks for responding - I'll try to refine the request accordingly. I'm certainly aware that I'm excluding an awful lot, but maybe not quite everything.

So, I like Hanabi and some similar games, but I'm excluding them for present purposes because the lack of perfect information excludes some sorts of interaction.

Games like Forbidden Island etc are great; the co-operation between individual characters, with different abilities and some light role-playing, are spot on. But the tone of them - rush around and try to construct a means of escape while holding back the flood/sand/demons etc - is not always what I'm after.

What I have in mind is something more constructive/creative. To give an example - albeit flawed - imagine a game of Settlers, where the players are each trying to construct their own nation, but co-operatively. There might be robbers or even other "players" with simple rule- or card-driven AI, but the human players are co-operating to ensure that e.g. all their nations reach X victory points before any AI player does, or within Y turns. Or even just play for Y turns, and the players' score is the smallest number of VPs that any of them has. I know that won't work, because of the details of how Settlers works, but the point is that it would definitely be a game, and even have enemies, but be very different in feel from the games I seem to be able to find.

On the time pressure issue, I did just mean real time - again, I have some games like Magic Maze where real time matters, but I really have to be in the right mood for that. A fixed number of turns, on the other hand, isn't a problem.

Paul.
Thank you for your explanation. I understood your op that you want to exclude hostiles (robbers, AI-controlled players,...) completely. If that isn‘t so, then a good number of games allow for a coop mode versus an AI-controlled player. Off the top of my head, I can think of examples ranging from Tiny Epic Galaxies, to A Distant Plain (and similiar GMT/COIN games), and I think even Space Empires 4X. Two Hour Wargames reuses the same basic mechanic in all their games, which works very well cooperatively, albeit with more shooting and less building. There‘s many more - these are just the ones that came immediately to mind.

In any case, I‘d recommend you ask that question over on BGG, where there is a somewhat broader boardgame interest than here (as well as a searchable database).