View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #28
Michael Thayne

Default Re: GURPS -> Dungeon Fantasy Conversion Thread

Gonna necromance this thread to raise the issue of items. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers uses Magic's distinction between quick and dirty enchantment ($1/FP) and slow and sure enchantment ($20/FP), and sets a simple cutoff that items requiring up to 100 FP to make use the former cost, and items requiring more FP to make use the latter cost. In GURPS Dungeon Fantasy this led to some odd results like Cornucopia Quivers costing only $110 ($100 for the enchantment, $10 for the mundane quiver). DFRPG doesn't explicitly lay out Magic's item-creation rules, but does seem to implicitly switch most permanent magic items to the $20/FP pricing. Wizard wand/staffs remain enchanted in price, as does one-shot enchanted ammunition.

Some other things, like alchemical charms, got repriced in ways I unfortunately haven't been able to reverse-engineer. Furthermore, in Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items and its sequel, things GURPS Dungeon Fantasy probably would have classed as artifacts which therefore have no "list price" now have a list price. But I strongly suspect there was no system at all used to derive them, though list prices tend to be extremely high, in the tends of thousands of GURPS $. If anyone has further insight into how to convert items that don't fall into Magic's primary magic item system I'd greatly appreciate hearing from them.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote