View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #44
whswhs

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
On the other hand, as Bill says, such behavior is often thematically inappropriate to begin with so the real solution is to talk it out and maybe boot the problem player if you can't come to an agreement.
Yeah, that's why you say, "This campaign is about ------s who ------." When the player agrees to the campaign, they accept the premise, and then you're entitled to hold them to it. You can say, during creation, "You have to build characters who will behave in such and such a way. You can figure out what their reasons are, but that's what the result has to be."

Now, if they don't follow that, on one hand, their teammates may intervene. I had that happen many years ago, when one member of a superteam attempted theft and another member shut down their powers to stop them; the arguments went on for months. On another hand, the world may produce consequences of a social nature, all the way up to the world's great powers assembling an elite strike force to take them down. On the third hand, as you say, you can talk with them. My formulation was, "You need to modify your character to fit these limits, and we can talk about how to do that; or if you can't, you need to resign." The one player I had to say that to chose to resign both times.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote