View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
DangerousThing

Default Re: Dodging while being levitated by Telekinesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
I have read both Powers and Psionic Powers and thus, frankly, I do not see the point you want to make.

I think no one so far even mentioned Pyrokinesis, so, really, what are you going on about?

The problem is that the situation, namely being lifted above ground, does not match the players' expectation.
My point is that often a player's expectations of an advantage, in this case TK, is judged by the name of the advantage rather than the definition.

As you stated in an earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yako View Post
Judging by fictional examples, lifting someone into the air (then often followed by colliding him into walls and similar) is usually portrayed as more or less having the subject helpless and in your power.
I do not think a pin-like result should occur without the usual rolls, but some kind of result should be obtained by spending the time to lift someone, aside from the fact that he can no be smashed repeatedly into the next wall.
And I agree with this. However, I also note that some fictional examples of TK include other abilities such as pyro- and cryo-kinesis. These may be grounds for a similar misunderstanding.

To mimic all but the simplest fictional abilities in GURPS usually requires more than one GURPS advantage.

In order to duplicate your example of having a lifted subject with TK helpless you need another ability, Binding, that would be bought along with the TK and somehow linked to it. The Psionic Powers book creates a framework in which almost any fictional powers can be made. Binding is specifically mentioned at the end of the Pychokinesis chapter.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote