View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #28
vitruvian

Default Re: Blunt Trauma and Skulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
You're right, sorry. I think the RAW is weird there, because blunt trauma just stops being an issue if the DR is penetrated. One more good argument for my version, where this is less of a point crook.

But also look at Flexible's pricing: A -20% for a not so often +5% or maybe +10% increase in damage (and reduced wounding modifiers)? Hmm. I see the counter arguments (going from invulnerable to small attacks to being vulnerable, and maybe shock penalties), but it seems cheap just looking at the numbers.

On the other hand, it could make sense with real armor to layer it like this.(Historians: Do you wear chain over plate or the other way round?) So why shouldn't it be an effective combo, if your character supports that. Innate DR should have DM approval anyway, I guess.

And falling damge is really a weird case ...

Ts
I think combining the two is fine so long as you take account of the rigid DR first. It can make sense, even if the flexible DR is physically layered over the rigid DR, since in many cases of blunt trauma you're taking damage from bouncing around against the inside of your rigid protective DR - especially when that means your brain hitting the inside of your skull, which is a pretty good description of how many concussions happen.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote