View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Shoug

Default Re: Magical Societies

I really love this idea. Not to ruin it by suggesting something much less exciting, but might I offer a wholly different mechanical take on the idea of a "Magical Society?" I prefer houserules which incorporate minimal "whole cloth," so to speak. I like it when houserules elegantly and efficiently link together existing coordinates within the original document rather than simply adding pages (but your custom spells are all very reasonable and well designed and humorous to boot!).

Might I offer: Each Magical Society corresponds to a specific "partition" of the existing spells list. Deciding how to divide the list is up to you. Then, each Magical Society has a corresponding 12 IQ Talent which is exclusive to Wizards, costs 1 point, and can be bought up to 4 times. This talent represents your knowledge and skills of the specific rituals of secrecy for that Magical Society. The Magical Society offers you all of the benefits of the Wizard's Guild, as they pertain to their specialization, at a discount of (25*TalentLevel)%. This means that if you buy a Magical Society's talent 4 times, then, if you have access to high level society members, you may learn any of the society spells for free.

Last edited by Shoug; 07-10-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote