View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #40
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Another thing I had overlooked:
  • Unhealed injury or pain always penalizes the Will roll to persist, and the GM might wish to uncap the IQ penalty for this roll.

"Uncap" meaning I think if you had done 5 HP to my leg instead of 4, there would be a -5 from Shock instead of the usual -4 maximum.

The 15<16 adjustment took into account the -4 to IQ from the Shock of the 4 lost HP from your punching me in the shin...

"Unhealed injury" sounds like I should still be -4 on all future "Persistance is Futile" rolls. If that is cumulative with the -4 to shock (total -8) then I would've failed at 15>12...

If that doesn't happen in the initial hit (perhaps due to "no double-dipping" rules?) then the 12<20 success on my 2nd roll would be reduced to 12<16, which would mean the +5 was again the reason it succeeded... meaning I guess that means a 2nd chance for SUAGbiologal occurance.

Shock should always apply, I agree. Applying the injury taken as a penalty to PIF sounds wrong. What if you're an elephant with 40 HP? Will any injury stop you from spending FP? This makes first blood very powerful. On the other hand, Partial injury doesn't apply any penalty at all to HT rolls, only to FP rolls. And the double dipping feels very wrong.

This is a big enough issue to start a thread on the main forum, I think.

Quote:
I had also overlooked:
  • Don’t bother rolling if your adjusted Will is 17 or higher unless the consequences of failure are dramatically significant and the GM is fishing for the rare critical failure

Do you want to use this "don't bother rolling" above 17 guideline, or do you think the GM should always fish for the rare 3d6=18 to pause someone?
I'd like to use the don't bother rolling roll for PIF at 17+. I don't like crit-fishing, because crits are the part of the curve least like the true bell curve.

Quote:
Based on that, I shouldn't have been able to follow up with a DWA. Rather than replay all of that, I think I'll house-rule that you can expend up to 1 AP per second to "heal" PIF damage. After all, if you just burned FP to get AP back, it's weird for futility to overwhelm you when you've got AP in the bank. Particularly in the case of HT1 / AP1 creatures because they get all the way back up to 100% AP by burning FP, meaning they fulfill the "full AP" condition automatically.
I strenously disagree. I swam the 500 yard freestyle and ran cross country in high-school. Being able to technically move but having a strong urge to do nothing is very very real. The +5 bonus applies, but if you are pushing yourself too hard, you will hit a mental wall long before you hit a physical one.

Quote:

Or I could be reading this all wrong, what if the intended penalty is just something like taking the DX penalties for Partial Injuries (MA136) and using them as Will penalties? If that's the case, I wouldn't have to deal with any yet since adrenaline is still kicked in. I had 24 seconds from when you punched me, 23 when you threw the missed kick, 21 after your consecutive Evaluates... so I'd have 20 seconds remaining of Adrenaline after you choose your next maneuver.
I think we're missing something. I'm combing forums to see what others have seen, and I'll start a thread in GURPS if I don't see anything.

At the end of this fight, we should write it up in a more understandable fashion.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote