View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #45
hal

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

For what it is worth, having seen all of the posts on this thread thus far and the diversity of opinions...

Dungeon Fantasy: does it have a single arc for a story line, a single background entirely - or goes it have a general "frame" and the GM then decided what to emphasize or de-emphasize?

Think of it like a car. It has to have 4 wheels to be called a car, along with a driver seat (GM's), passenger seats (Players), and a destination to arrive at. Would I use Psionics in a Space Opera or Sci-fi campaign? Usually not. With Traveller, I think I ran maybe one or two campaigns with psionics in it, and then shunned it entirely. However, knowing that there are those who want to run a DUNE style campaign - I'd say have a basic set of rules for it, very minimal, with perhaps role convents built in (or is that character plot protection?). The GURPS SPACESHIPS rules for trade look doable and reasonable. The Action line of PDF's could likely be parleyed into the SPACE OPERA BOX SET easily enough. So, where do people usually struggle the most for their campaigns?

Usually, it is a function of "timelines" or background history for the space opera.

Now, take a step back and think about this a moment...

Create a timeline, call it the "early years". That's for those who want the lower tech stuff, and want a background history of sorts. Emphasize or de-emphasize "elements" (sort of like when you bake a cake - there is one general recipe for it, but it has differences between cake recipes that make each cake relatively unique).

Then have the mid-years. This is when mankind actually develops an Early FTL drive. It doesn't have much in the way of "Legs" (or the ability to span great distances). If the Space Opera box set is done correctly, it will generally be a 3-D co-ordinate system. Why? Let's say that Doug Cole wants to run an analog of Traveller 2300. With a low distance FTL drive that is limited, he can recreate his Travller 2300esque game with out having to change a single darned thing. The early years doesn't interest him, but the Mid-years do. Me? I'd LOVE the early years, when Mars more or less reasonably gets a strong effort towards colonization. THE MILLENNIAL PROJECT might prove to be a fertile ground for a "timeline" if you will.

Then come the later years. Mankind's tinkering with FTL has finally produced the X-drive. Man has been in space a LONG time.

Now we can do TIME ENOUGH FOR LOVE as a campaign style if needed. We can do the CO-Dominion books maybe. How about MUTINEER'S MOON? Downbelow Station?

The basic "frame" is the time line. The parts that go onto the frame will be the technological presumptions (assumptions?) required to make the genre work at that point in the time line.

Those who want Psiwars - they add to the mix, a LOT of the PSI stuff. Those who want the augmented personnel (such as MUTINEER's MOON) where the Imperials can lift 10 times what normal humans can, can access computer files directly via Direct neural interaface etc - aren't concentrating on "cyberpunk" so much as enhanced humans. Transhumanism also gets to have its place (which would fit in very well with a Traveller 2300 style campaign).

So, build the frame first - add the elements that make the vehicle spaceworthy (so to speak) for the Sci-fi Space Opera Set.

DUNGEON FANTASY doesn't LOCK you into one story for all players who want to play DFRPG does it? the SORPG (Space Opera Fantasy Role Playing Game) should be the same. It should basically do the bulk of the work, give the rules required for the flavor the GM wants to run, and then step out of the way.

Equipment lists? yes.

Early Age limits on Equipment lists? Yes.

Mid age limits on Equipment lists? Yes (and use the early list for "antiques")

Late age limits on equipment lists? Hmm, everything the GM wants, plus all of the other stuff included.

And just to be a pain in the buttocks? It would be nice if the SORPG contained the near 50 to 100 light year radius from earth already pre-generated. Or failing that? How about a file online, that the purchaser of the box set can go online and download for the game?

How many have ever played with FTL:2448? Remember the long slim FTL ships that were largely rectangular "frames" with the habitable section of the ship at the front, and the FTL drive at the rear? GURPS SPACESHIPS could be used to build those. The FTL drives are not "fixed" by the game so much as chosen by the ship designer as a switch. That fits right in with a Space Opera style game in my opinion.

But, be as that may be, the powers that be who finalize the whole project, assuming that they even bother to do one, is likely to not fit what we're speculating on now.

On that note, I'll leave you to your fun. ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote