Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: New Skills - Awesome skills needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I am not ignoring the call for new skills, but I really cannot think of many things that seem worth it. ...
Sorry all, for repeating some arguments, but think of this as collecting them into one place.

When read the Fafrd / Grey Mouser stories, I assume that these awesome swordsmen were great because Greywand and Catsclaw (their weapons) were awesome. Did those blades have +5 w/ae on them? Did they have a built in charm? Then Fritz Leiber mentioned in passing that several times their blades broke, and they replaced them with similar weapons.

This blew my mind. They were great not because of their equipment, they were great because they were awesome swordsman!!!

I tried to think how I would make them in TFT. They would take Sword, and Fencing and... nothing. The only way to distinguish them was endlessly raising their attributes. (Which won't work in the new TFT by the way.)

I also like the fact that heroes and wizards were nicely balanced in TFT. (Much more so than in D&D.) However, this breaks down at high levels. Experienced wizards in TFT out class experienced fighters.

In my campaign I added some very powerful, hard to get talents for heroes, and this solved both of these problems.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote