View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Default Re: Vodoo in a modern setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
the Voodoo spirit magic system is at least a contributing gene donor for RPM
It's even in the name. The "Path" in "Ritual Path Magic" was a nod to Path/Book magic from Thaumatology. Similarly with the "Ritual", as the energy-accumulating ritual magic rules from Thaumatology are the other big influence. There's enough novelty in RPM that I don't quite see it as one of the "I could have done that -- except I didn't" applications like Sorcery or Psi Powers. But it's also not a completely new, unique system without any precedent in older GURPS rules.

RPM should work as the mechanics for voodoo magic. The amulets, talismans, etc are "charms". Possession by loas isn't really a core mechanic, though, so the world still needs some mechanical support if that's to be anything other than a handwaved plot point.

(Off the top of my head, I might go with a ritual for the invitation, at least narratively, and if the loa takes you up on it, you need an MA pool "Only While Possessed" that lets you buy abilities of the loa, "Granted By Familiar". The GM then has to go construct a bunch of abilities for any of the various loa that will come up in play -- see which way your players lean! -- but that's life as a GM.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote