View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's a cool idea, but has a serious problem for high tech settings like Infinity: interaction with other timezones.

Note that you can get most of the concept with much less in the way of logic tangles like that by not messing with the universal clock and just giving mages an extra hour that *isn't* on the clock between 12:00:00 and 12:00:01 - effectively instead of everyone else freezing for an hour, mages superaccelerate for an instant.

Edit: The everybody freezes but all other processes continue to run implicit in the sky seems to jump (as opposed to the hour just vanishes concept) can work, but doesn't seem as mysterious. Everybody will know it happens and be well aware of need to stop automatic processes, be careful not be moving when it kicks in, ensure any fires are safe to leave untended for an hour.... It's like everybody has to sleep, only more compulsory.
Canon has lots of odd "impossible" interactions between realities, that I don't think dimensional hoppers would automatically know what's really going on. But I get the point.
Sudden speed ups would involve fewer hidden pitfalls, I agree. It also allows a hint of paranoia for hoppers in nearby seemingly normal realities.
Did I really leave my notes there? Why do I fee like I'm being watched? I'm a mage, but what if this reality has a different effected group?

Compulsory sleep would lead to so many expression cliches for mages. The sleeper has AWAKENED! Don't go through life with your eyes closed, etc.