Thread: Dice?
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Default Re: Dice?

When I first started with TTRPGs, I raided my wargames (Avalon Hill, SPI, those old grognard ones) along with Risk for d6's, to go along with the TSR Basic Set dice in my Crown Royal bag that I got from an uncle. (The d12 has somehow gone missing, but the rest are all there, in the same bag.) I always liked the slightly smaller form factor of the AH d6s, which if nothing else came in handy when playing Hero System. Also took the d100 set from my Rolemaster game (two d20s marked with double 0-9s; d10s hadn't been invented yet). Added a couple of other polyhedral sets after a few years when "high impact" dice became a thing. And still use those.

Wound up with a few sets of FUDGE dice when we did a FATE game. Two sets of Genesys dice for Star Wars. Recently a whole set of d10s for The Dark Eye. Various sets of d6, mostly from SJG when they do something I like or as addons for Kickstarters. But none of those really made in into the CR bag to get used.

One really handy non-dice accessory I bought was the disks from an Othello game (which game I bought for the purpose, as the entire game is cheaper than a set of replacement disks; go figure). They come in handy as tokens for karma/fate/hero/advantage/focus points in whatever game you might be playing, with the two-color flippable nature being particularly good for some of those rules. (Anything where player use turns a point in the poool to GM use, or you need to represent Light Side/Dark Side or good/bad karma benefits.) Also have some poker chips which more often get used for RPGs than for poker, but I find that the Othello tokens are smaller and handier at the table.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote