View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Skarg

Default Re: Refactoring magic item costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Use the XP to Gold conversion to balance items against learned abilities?
No, I'm not sure I would ever use XP to gold conversion. Too meta-gamey for my tastes.

For Stone Flesh, I think it's clearly under-priced compared to the other items, even if you give it a ST cost to use. I would both give it (and Iron Flesh) a ST cost of 1/turn, and increase its cost/time to create.

I also use the list costs as the minimum costs for magic items on the market, since in my worlds demand tends to exceed supply unless it's something of not much use to many people. As you and I have both done the math to see, the listed costs tend to be pretty close to what it would cost on average to successfully make a magic item, with not a lot of profit margin. But since in my worlds, any item available for sale tends to have multiple rich and powerful people who would like to buy it, there tends to be more of an auction situation where the power and influence of the other NPC customers is part of their attraction that the PCs would have to overcome to be sold a magic item. Not to mention the potential for drawing attention of those powerful people if they do buy a magic item that a powerful person wanted to buy.

Wizards' Guild Chapter Head to The Black Duke: "I'm sorry Your Grace, but Krumbah the Orc offered thirty thousand silver for the Stone Flesh ring... which was more than your proxy was authorized to offer, and we were not able to reach you before today. Krumbah and his party of er... adventurers... then purchased a gate passage to Proomtown. They said they had plans to participate in the tournament there. Perhaps you might send an emissary there to make them an alternative offer."

(I also use magic item breakdown house rules...)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote