View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #70
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Altering the Initiative Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
That's not how Riposte works. It doesn't give you a free, second attack.
I never said it did. What I am saying is that Wait doesn't automatically cancel the foes action.
Able has Basic Speed 7, Zed has Basic Speed 5.75 but Parry-18

Able (turn 1): I wait for Zed to come within range, then I will attack him first!
Zed (turn 1): I move a step and Attack Able.
Able (turn 1): That triggers my Wait, so I get to attack! I hit!
Zed (turn 1): Okay, I Parry and Riposte for -4. I Succeed.
Zed (turn 1): I get to roll my attack now, but you must defend at -4! Ha!
Able (turn 1): On noes! I failed to defend. I take damage!
Able (turn 2): I get to Attack again but I have shock penalties. If you Parry though it is at a penalty because it will be your second Parry.
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
You really shouldn't think of this in terms of "faster/slower" terminology. It's just as likely that the "slower" character waits to react to the "faster" character, interrupting his turn and getting the possible advantage.
They are complaining about the "unfair" advantage that using Wait can give a character that "goes twice" before another character gets to "go again". I'm pretty sure this always going to benefit the character with the higher Basic Speed. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
He's right. It's sort of like a reversed and inverted Deceptive Attack cross bred with a feint. You choose to take a penalty on your defense, in exchange for giving him a penalty on his defense against that weapon on your next turn. No immediate attack.
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that Waits let you interrupt someone's manuever, but that person still gets to complete his turn.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-15-2011 at 11:37 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote