Thread: Un-nerfed Mages
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #74
blacksmith

Default Re: Un-nerfed Mages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'm getting good results with that rule in my campaign, too. The PC of a player who earns 100 points that she spends only on sure successes and critical successes ends up coming across as just as powerful in play as a PC who went for 100 points in permanent improvements. In a lot of ways, she comes across as more powerful, since her great victories always come at dramatically crucial moments (i.e., when she wants and/or really needs them), while the hero with the higher permanent point total might be more consistently impressive at the little things yet fall victim to a natural 18 on the "save the universe" roll and end his career in ignominy. Burning a few points to make that Resurrection spell a critical success that costs 0 FP and bring back a dead comrade sure seems more powerful than having three extra spells that you can't afford the FP to cast . . . and if it's the Grand Duke that you raise, you might get more points back in free Status and Wealth than you spent on the success roll!
In the burning a mount thread it would seem that the PC who tires to get the free Resurrection by the critical success simply dies with out bringing anyone back to life.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote