View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Spaceships in GURPS 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Spaceships 1 has the complete design rules (as well as the basic rules for maneuvering and combat) but only a couple example builds. If you want lists of premade spacecraft, check out some of the other SS books. They typically include additional rules pertaining to running games that involve particular types of spaceships. For example, SS2: Traders, Liners and Transports has guidelines covering different classes of Spaceports, ways to handle the purchase/hiring of spaceships and crews, operating expenses, liscences, etc. SS3: Warships and Space Pirates has an optional Tactical Space Combat ruleset, allowing spaceship engagements to be played out on a battlemat rather than using SS1's more abstract system. SS4: Fighters, Carriers and Mecha has cinematic optional rules that can help simulate the frantic dogfights that are so common in Sci Fi movies and shows.

If you're on a tight budget you can get by with just the first book, of course, but I've not regretted any of the additional SS purchases.
I would generally recommend to take SS3 if you're picking up Spaceships. The Tactical combat system is much cleaner than the Abstract one, even (surprisingly) for rules-clueless types.

SS4 is overall good to have if you want a bit more flexibility, especially in designing odd system/ship sizes.

SS2/SS6 is only useful for trade-/industry-heavy campaigns; even so, there exist a number of strong criticisms regarding the economics of SS2 and SS6. SS5 is mostly useful for campaigns matching the PDF title.

SS7 is just cool to have, even for some Fantasy games (trust me). It's that fun.