View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #290
Oneiros

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Late posting on this, but been following the thread since the news was announced.

I had several Microgames back in the day, as well as the AM, AW and ITL books but unfortunately the only thing to survive was the original Wizard and some of the pre-programmed adventures. (Along with Car Wars and Chitin: 1, which I was really enamored with for some reason. Probably the Jaquays art.)

I started playing Melee and Wizard in high school, and then TFT in college. I ran a pretty much "as is" TFT campaign, another which incorporated the Space Gamer article on Superpowers into a medieval fantasy setting, and finally a modern Cthulhu-esque campaign. The latter was a fun but mixed bag. It would have benefited greatly from things that came out later in systems like GURPS (making earth a low-mana world and introducing ritual magic, specifically).

Eventually GURPS became my system of choice for several years, and I attribute that having started with TFT. Nowdays, however, my current group finds it a bit to crunchy, so D&D and Savage Worlds are what we play.

(I kinda think Savage Worlds and TFT share a little of the same "feel", which might help with it's adoption in the modern gaming age, but that's probably another topic.)

But, I'm really excited to hear new versions of the TFT books are going to see the light of day, with ongoing support (as well as an online community the like of which I couldn't even comprehend back in 1980.)

So, in short, congrats on re-acquiring the rights, Steve! Looking forward to whatever comes with this new iteration.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote