View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #21
Maz

Default Re: Question about cutting a throat.

Langy I can't figure out what type of game your running. Do you want to mimic Hollywood sentry-removal scene. Do you want to mimic real-world sentry-removal or do you want to do sentry removal purely based on RAW? Because each one comes with it's own assumptions and you keep brining up problems that would not be relevant in one type but is in another type, so when people respond you say "no" because they apparently respond to another type of game-style.

As far as I can read, here are your concerns:
1) A person need to be strong. To deal enough damage to the neck to take out a guard.
This isn't true, but you do need a high degree of skill to do it, even with a good Strength. This is realistic. If a weak and/or unskilled person try to stab someones neck, then they are going to hit at a bad angle and a knife do not cut through flesh like it's butter. try to take a big beef and or three and try to easily cut through them. You need to be strong to do it. The knife won't simply glide effortlessly through flesh.
Using RAW: With high skill you can make AOA:Strong, Rapid strike to the neck/vein with a fine knife and even more if your a weapon master, and easily deal enough damage to reduce anyone to below 0 HP.

2) As I don't insta-kill the guard there is a good chance he will yell alarm. That is why in reality people grapple the persons face first to prevent him from yelling alarm. But even in reality if you are surprised you do not automatically yell out, there is a good chance you freeze. Per RAW if you are surprised you are stunned, and when stunned you can't yell alarm.

-If you want to mimic Hollywood sentry removal where it always succeed and seem very easy. Then your game has to reflect this. Using either cinematic rules and/or cinematic high-points character.
-If you want it to mimic reality, then it's NOT EASY and it WILL go wrong so you need to take precoursions, such as grappling the mouth in case it goes wrong AND you still need to be highly skilled AND strong, more so than in a cinematic game.
-If you want to go purely by RAW, then again, you need to be skilled and strong for it to work.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote