View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #42
Mgellis

Default Re: List Of your favorite Custom Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack83
The way i see it is if you have the Professional Skill of say a doctor, or a Notary then that entitles you to have a license. So if you have a legitimate PS then you have the licenses for that trade. Therefore no perk, you should be necessary unless it goes out of the normal boundaries. IMHO the PS is you License.
I'm not sure being a notary involves any skill. And this would make it more expensive than a perk in most cases.

In fact, that may resolve the issue. With a lot of licenses, there is an associated skill. If you have Guns (Pistol), and you live in a society where handguns must be licensed, one assumes you would get the license. If you did not have a license, it would be both odd and inconvenient, which would make it a Quirk. Having a license for a firearm would only be a Perk in a society where, normally, you wouldn't be able to get a license.

Although it doesn't sound like it's very hard to become a notary public, it is something above and beyond what is associated with any skill, and it does provide certain advantages. Thus, it is reasonable to treat it as a Perk.

Perk: Notary public [1] <-- You are authorized to swear depositions, create certified copies of official documents, declare certain documents official and legally binding, etc. And you can charge fees for it.

I stand (well, actually, sit) corrected. :)

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote