View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
njals

Default Re: How can I turn Munchkin into a 8+player game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillur View Post
I just bought Munchkin Deluxe this past weekend and played it a few times with some friends. I honestly love this game and so do my friends. I have read online you can play with 8 players if you have the right expansions. I was thinking about buying expansions 2 & 3, and then some more later down the road. I got some few beginner questions and hope someone can help me out.

1. If I buy expansions 2 & 3 will I be able to play with 8 players? If I need 2 other expansions or if there are 2 other expansions I should get besides 2 & 3 because they are more better and fun please let me know.
With two expansions you should have enough cards for an eight player game.
  • More players equates to more time spent at the table playing, I once played in a 11 player game, it took some time to play out and we all enjoyed yourselves. YMMV.
  • The more people you have in the group the more chance their is for distraction of players and causing needless down time.
  • Or the dreaded, "Oh wait I wanted to do something," for this make sure the reasonable amount of time given at the end of a combat is clearly counted off at a volume others can easily hear the count without yelling, after that too bad and thanks for coming out. The group I play with use a, "I am winning, is anyone doing anything? Going Once! Going Twice! Gone!" count.
  • Myself for large group games, I ask that phones are silent and vibrate is off, we do not pause if a player has to use the bathroom or get a drink or take a call(which must be done in another room) unless that player's turn comes up while that player is out.
  • If a player has to leave the game before it is over, we have a house rule, the that character dies and we get to loot the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
2.) With 8 people, there are so many cards out there to mess with people that it becomes kind of difficult to get a winner. Toward the end of the game, if you are going for the winning level, there is a decent chance that, among the SEVEN people trying to stop you, there is sufficient means to do so. You end up having to wait for a BUNCH of people to be shooting for that winning level at the same time before anybody has much chance of getting it.

The only thing that comes close to dealing with this issue is the sharing the win in the new Faster Play rules.

Last edited by njals; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: general editing and making it look nicer
njals is offline   Reply With Quote