View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
prosfilaes

Default Re: G4e Tech Levels for Merlin, Homeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS
I think what maximara is trying to say is that TL(6+1) is the manatech age (1945+) with TL(6+2) being the manatronic age (1978+) "when Sephiroth [Industries] developed the Conduct Power, Steal Power and Draw Power spells." [p.T117]. This an important breakpoint, since where before magic was either used to enhance technology or replace it, now technology could be used to enhance and support magic.
I think it's important not to overestimate the difference between Technomancer's TL(6+1) and TL7. Companies resisted the introduction of core memory and digitial cameras; if we wake up one day and discover that magic works, it's going to take a decade or two before we have it formalized and controlled well enough to start replacing other technologies. In Technomancer, there was a lot of fear of magic before 1960, and not all of it was dispelled by JFK. 1960 is mid-TL7. Economic conservativism and religious fears were going to keep a lot of technology development not replaced by magic until at least then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara
our understanding of atomic energy for nearly of all the 1950's was basicly TL6 which was another reason that I felt that Technomancer would be at TL(6+x).
That's, um, absurd. Atomic energy is, by definition, a TL7 technology. TL6 atomic energy is painting glow-in-the-dark watches with radium. The start of the development of the nuclear weapon marks the start of TL7 in GURPS 4th ed.

And, yes, we've read your complaints about Technomancer before. They don't need to be posted to every thread on the setting.
prosfilaes is offline   Reply With Quote