View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Examples of "surprise" from B393?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Related question: how do you start a combat if the person who decides to initiate the violence doesn't have the highest Basic Speed? In other words, do they get a "free" action before round-by-round starts? What maneuvers does everyone else assumed to have taken? If he does have the highest BS, does he effectively get to act twice in a row (once "before" combat, once in the first round)? Yes, I realize "round" is not a term of art in GURPS, blah blah blah
If the person who decides to initiate the violence achieves surprise by doing so, people with higher speed (and people with lower speed) are stunned, which gives them at least that first round 'free'.

If they don't achieve surprise, people with higher speed could act first. In many contexts reacting first is going to mean drawing weapons, moving to more suitable positions, or taking a Wait rather than an instant Han Shot First offensive, but the latter is an option.