View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 06:48 AM   #9
Varyon

Default Re: Gaming philosophy conundra

I know these aren't meant to be answered but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
If I play GURPS 3rd edition and replace the rules with new rules from 4th edition one at a time, at which point am I no longer playing 3rd edition?
Over 50%. Below 50%, you're playing "3e with some 4e rules." At 50% you're playing "an even mix of 3e and 4e." Above 50%, you're playing "4e with some 3e rules."

If you were going for a "Ship of Theseus" logic puzzle, I think a better question would be "If I play GURPS but replace the rules with houserules one at a time, at which point am I no longer playing GURPS?"

Quote:
I am a DM who's writing the perfect D&D campaign. Each time I'm almost finished WotC release a new edition and I have to start over. Am I happy?
Depends on how much you enjoy building the campaign. It's clearly a lot, given you decide to start over each time a new edition is released, rather than finishing and playing with the older edition.

Quote:
There's a trolley that is barreling down a train track, but the track splits into two separate lines. On one train track is an orc. On the other are your party members. You can pull a lever to send the train down to kill the orc, or your party members. If you kill all your party members, you get enough XP to advance a level. What is the morally right action?
Is the orc female, if so is she hawt, if so is she more or less likely to let you do her than the hawt female members of your party? If you get to the last question and the answer is "more likely," kill the party.

More seriously, the correct action is to disable the Trolley Problem Trap (you brought your Thieves Tools, right?) to get the XP for doing so (and a "party wipe" trap should be worth a lot of XP), then team up with the party to kill the orc and take his/her stuff (which will be in much better condition than it would be if the orc were splattered by a trolley), then convince your party to camp on the tracks, steal all their stuff while they sleep, and reactivate the trap to kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
If 3d6 fall in the forest with no one to add them up, how do you know if you've criticalled?
Threaten your GM with your dice throwing arm, and you'll crit whenever you want. I mean, would you want to get dice thrown at you by someone who can send them into a desolate forest from your kitchen table?

Quote:
If, contrary to Einstein, God does play dice what sort does He/She/It use?
I believe Revelation 13:18 made it clear God uses 3d6 - "This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666." That's obviously a roll of 18, there.

Quote:
How to apply John Rawl's Veil of Ignorance to the design of a gaming world? (Easier with random character generation, I think. People who design characters are always going to want to create loopholes.)
That sounds like a game where the players essentially generate the game world, which is certainly a fascinating concept. In that case, yes, you'd need to randomly generate the characters - or at least randomly generate those aspects that have relevance to the bits of the game world the players designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Can a cleric turn a p-zombie?
If they're animated by a power/spirit that the cleric can Turn, sure. Otherwise, I think a p-zombie is basically a machine made of meat, and clerics generally cannot turn Constructs, so no.

Last edited by Varyon; 04-22-2022 at 06:52 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote