View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Spaceships] The hard, ungrateful life of a CAG (fighter squadron leader)

Greetings, all!

Reading and comparing the rules of another system to GURPS, I recalled a campaign-that-didn't-start where one PC was a CAG ('Commander of Air Group', actually a fighter squadron leader). Just to be clear, I'm talking about fighters comparable to SW X-Wings and TIE Fighters, BSG Vipers, and Ur-Quan Autonomous Fighters.

Now, I noticed that the problem is that it's often not worth spending a Multitasking penalty (even if we allow fighters to multitask at -2) to do anything covered by a Command task:
  • Squadron Leadership: a Command task that gives +1 to Tactics. Meh. The one rolling tactics is the CAG in the first place, and taking a Multitasking penalty to get +1 to Tactics is silly.
  • Leadership Task (assuming we house-rule to allow a leader to affect the squadron): +1 to Spacer skill on a MoS of 5+, really?
  • Motivate Crewman (assuming house-rule...): +1 or -1 to skill of ONE subordinate depending on roll?
  • Space Tactics (assuming...): this is probably what people have CAGs for, but the +1 to Dodge (on a success) is of dubious utility if you take -4 (or -2) to Piloting when doing it (no matter whether you succeed or fail). The good thing is it affects the whole group (assuming...), and a free level of Deceptive Attack might be nice (while attacking a single target, that is).
  • Heroic Speech: this is typically performed by by the captain on the carrier, IMO.

Also, it is not clear what a CAG can do to meaningfully increase the usefulness of subordinates. It seems that even for a half-dozen fighters, there's more sense in having pilots with 1 higher level of Piloting and/OR weapon skill than to have a CAG with Tactics/Leadership 15.

Anyone got thoughts on the issue?
Thanks in advance!