View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
Atreyu_Hibiki

Default Re: [Fantasy] Any Background Lenses out there I can use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
If I were to make a set of "previous job" Lenses for an action-adventuring TL3 or TL4 GURPs campaign, I think I'd go about it in a very systematic and rigid way, by assuming that it's always a "previous job" with the character no longer on active duty (thus Rank and so forth isn't needed), and always the exact same point and skill/trait structure, for instance something like this:

2 points in one Primary Skill
1 point in one Secondary Skill
1 Dabbler Perk split 2 ways between two Tertiary Skills
1 Perk representing a lasting benefit of the job, e.g. Courtesy Rank or a Perk-grade Contact
Honestly, I think this is a great idea. I wouldn't mess with a Dabbler Perk for a Background Lens, though - I'd just make it one Primary skill, two Secondary skills, and a Lasting Benefit perk. Utilize Historical Folks to find your skillsets quickly - you should be able to pick out which skills are most appropriate. A quick glance at Vermin Catcher, for instance, indicates that Animal Handling, Poisons, and Urban Survival are probably the most crucial skills. Resistant +3 to Specific Poison (Rat poison) [1] could round it out.

There. Five minutes and your Lens is as follows:

Former Vermin Catcher
Poisons (H) IQ-1 [2]
Urban Survival (A) IQ-1 [1]
Animal Handling (Vermin) (H) IQ-2 [1]
Resistant +3 to Rat Poison (Rare category, specific poison) [1]