View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #6
NeverCool

Default Re: Wealth Check System for GURPS (anyone?)

We had a discussion like that loooong ago on the maillist (with 'we' I mean myself and the two other people who gave a damn... times were tough back then...), even before D20 existed. I ended up using an alternate Status (Credit Rating) and simply doing Reaction checks. This also allows weaving in negotiation checks, like Merchant, Savior Faire, or even Intimidation, depending on how you are negotiating with the buyer/seller.

In retrospect, I'm surprised it wasn't abused heavily by the players, considering that there was no 'loss' of wealth involved; buy the same trinket a 1000 times, and your Credit Rating remains the same. I guess you could simply state that a success gives you a clean trade when buying, but every 3 levels of failure means that to get the thingie, you must sacrifice 1 level of Credit Rating. OTOH, when selling, every 3 levels of success might raise it 1 (on second thought, that one has to be thought more about, or it makes selling small things a gold mine!).

EDIT: Think I solved that bug... Cheap things get a bonus when trying to buy, right? So... that bonus becomes a penalty when selling, because it gets tougher making any serious money off of it. A positive Credit Rating also becomes a penalty; the more you have, the harder it is to make enough money to really make a difference. Price Penalties and negative Credit Rating (debt?) becomes a bonus when selling - expensive things are what really boost your net value, and it is easy to make a difference in a poor man's budget with just a few bucks.

Still, half of this remains theory.

Last edited by NeverCool; 07-20-2006 at 07:47 AM.
NeverCool is offline   Reply With Quote