View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Deadly Spring & Low-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Hi, I found this unfamous Deadly Springs article, and I must agree that contrary to this "unfame", this is great article for me. But I have 2 troubles with this :(

1. Major problem. Crossbows. There is just one type of medieval crossbow, and in Low-Tech there are also Composite, Gastraphetes, Pistol Crossbows, Prodd, Slurbow, and few others.
A composite crossbow is just a crossbow using two materials - just like a composite bow. It's fully supported in the spreadsheet and article, because it uses the same rules (don't make the stock composite!).

The Gastrophetes and Pistol Crossbows are just different sizes of crossbows. Make them bigger or smaller *shrug*.

The Slurbow and Prodd are more funky.
The Slurbow is mostly a crossbow with a short draw length that fires equally short bolts (aka darts), but the bolts are unfletched and there's the weird thing about multiple projectiles. Unfletched bolts/darts are going to reduce accuracy and I presume range, multiple darts might look at the pajunda (sp) rules?

The Prodd is funky because it doesn't fire a bolt at all. The rest of the weapon up to calculating the force imparted to the projectile is normal - you're finding the weight of a bullet instead of a bolt, but the math is still the same and it should be generally the same damage, but pi of some kind instead of imp. It's things like the ACC and Range that would be modified and I don't have guidelines for that.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote