View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
MiB1213

Default Issues with Magery

Can someone please explain to me how this works in GCA. I just started using the GCA and decided to make a simply mage. I gave him an IQ of 11 with a Magery of +1. Up to that point the deducted Character Points were correct.
Started with 150 and now have a total of 115.
I went to purchase just one spell, Purify Air, which the CA set to a level of 9 at a cost of 1. This is two point below this characters IQ. If according to the rules of magic you purchase spells just like skills, Purify Air at Attribute + 0(making it equal to my IQ) would cost 4 points, BUT since Magery +1 allows this character to learn the spell as if his IQ was an 12 that would still cost him 4 points if I wanted it to be equal to his IQ. Now raising the spell level to match the value of his IQ(without taking into account Magery +1) using the CA costs 4 points. This seems, by my math to be correct, though raising it one more point to match the bonus from Magery costs a total of 8. Seems that the CA will not adjust for the addition of Magery +1.
Unless I'm missing something here this seems to be incorrect and sorta of annoying to me since if you were making a bunch of spell casters you'd have to keep a separate tally of the points being spent and not go by the Used/Unused one as shown in the CA. Anyone run into this or what am I doing wrong?