View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #125
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: The Problem With Magic

Strange, I have combat training (classical, military, and self-defense) and it has been fifteen years since I last got into a fight. Even when I was in the military, I did not fire a weapon except during training (one of the benefits of being in the Navy), and we had more to fear from careless peers than we did from any enemy. While drone combat blurs the boundaries of combat, I think that using personal weapons in combat will become rarer and rarer, as drones replace soldiers (there are aerial drones in the works that will be capable of replacing four teams of snipers each, as they will be able to engage targets from a height of 2,000 meters above the ground).

Of course, there are areas in the world where combat is a daily occurrence, but I imagine that the majority of the people in the forum do not live there. The majority of the world is relatively peaceful, with interpersonal violence being uncommon in daily life, with violent events during on a monthly or annual basis. There are situations where violence is a daily occurrence, even in the developed world, but the majority of those conflicts tend to be personal tragedies rather than epidemics of violence.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote