View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #535
jason taylor

Default Re: Exotic Governmental/Legal Systems

I came up with this thinking of exotic onasmatics (a good subject for another thread as it happens). Suppose every person's name was chosen at random out of a computer.

Then I tried to think of how it would tie to governmental systems. And it came to me. Each name has a numerological value. Suppose by a given algorithm certain names are always considered to be names for nobles or elders or whatever. Instead of a geneological aristocracy we have an onasmatic one?

It has some reprecussions. Everyone is going to want to benefit their kith and kin, and interfering with that beyond what is due and proper is going to be just another attempt to make a dystopia while seeking utopia that is out of the question. On the other hand onasmatic nobles must have some clout to preform their duties or they will be overwhelmed by the dynasts which will always exist in some form. Therefore there must be fiefs or endowments of some kind that do not belong to any one family but to an office and are transferred when a new successor is nominated.