View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
whswhs

Default Re: Making Techniques Worthwhile

I don't really see a problem with the current scheme.

In the first place, it's not efficient to spend time training up multiple Hard techniques. That encourages players to pick a single "signature" move and specialize in it, which both avoids cluttering a character sheet with a lot of complexity that has only minor payoffs in terms of making play interesting, and fits the way martial artists are often portrayed in fiction and drama.

In the second place, the 2-point cost for the first +1 means it's not worthwhile training the technique until you've put 4 points into the skill. That also works narratively, fitting the idea that it's the more advanced student who's skilled enough to have a personal signature move.

Back when I ran Salle d'Armes, my campaign about French students of the smallsword, what I did was have each play session include a classroom scene where the characters practiced one or another technique of Smallsword. The idea was that they weren't trying to gain a level of the technique, but were doing this as part of all-round training in the skill; that is, the list of techniques for a skill is also a list of things you might practice while learning the overall skill. It also gave them a chance to size up whether they liked a technique enough to thing about concentrating on it. I recommend this as an added use of techniques.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote