View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #2
vitruvian

Default Re: Ramming Speed vs Throwing Speed with a side order of Log ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Pink Light has a LogST of 35, and a BL of 6,324 (equivalent to an old ST of 178). She has 5 levels of Striking LogST giving her a Thrust of 8d.

She can pickup and throw an empty van (lwt 3.5 - load of 1, for 5,000 lbs; 68 HP from the Vehicles list on Campaigns, pg 464) 106 yards in 1 second and do 10d+1 damage with it. (With Old ST she would do 28d+1 throwing the van.)

However, if that van was moving under its own power at 212 mph (woo-hoo!) it would collide for 72d of damage (68 x 106 = 7,208. 7,208 / 100 = 72.08 for 72d).

As it is, she's hitting someone with as much force as the van would have traveling at 30 mph (15 yd/sec). Throwing damage seems rather . . . anemic. Throwing with normal ST damage, would be the equivalent of the van moving about 82 mph (41 yd/sec). And, while better still isn't in line with the van's actual speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for correcting this other than simply replacing throwing damage with Slam damage for large objects?
I think it's pretty clear that switching to LogSt (from the Knowing Your Own Strength Pyramid article, I presume?) really needs you to adjust both the HP of lots of things, and the collision damage rules in general. Given what switching to LogST does to damage potential in comparison to overall force and power behind a character's attacks, I rather suspect the answer would be to reduce Slam damage rather than increase throwing damage to match.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote