View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Cosmology and game mechanics for Dream Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I have not yet considered how harmful should wounds and deaths in the dreamworld be for the real world.
You should. It's a really important part of any campaign that features dreamworlds - do you die in the real world if you die in your dreams? Is it just a Fright Check? I highly suggest you peg that down before anything else because it's going to influence everything else you do.

Quote:
Is this one of the published Pyramids, or is it just one of your Gizmo (Pyramid Articles) examples?
Hey! I don't have....alright - maybe I do. But it's only because I write so damn much. I think I have a problem. You'll find the rules in Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II in my article "Lord of Your Own Domain."

Quote:
I would very much like not to request any special point-buyable things other than the Dreaming skill proper (i.e. B188) and maybe the ability that allows moving from an individual dreamsphere to the dreamworld global without use of equipment.
I'm definitely not inclined to give PCs the ability to fully command parts of the dream outside their individual dreamspheres (and inviting guests there should be very very difficult, if possible at all).
I've had this conversation with someone else on the boards...I think it was tantric, anyways, if everyone gets "Dream Travel 1" then it's a feature. Just treat level 2 as a buyable ability. If Dreaming can do a crazy number of things like allowing you to create dream matter with a Will roll or let you bend space I very much suggest you raise the difficulty to Very Hard and float the attribute over to IQ.

Quote:
This isn't necessary about spatial congestion, but also about numeric. The fact that you can fit 100 people into the Closet Of Disco Lights doesn't prevent the fact that now there are 100 people inside instead of just two.
Things are probably even more sharply visible when e.g. there are only 100 visitors at the Lake-upon-Lightning back in the day, but a whole megapolis worth of visitors the next year.
Again, this is one of the things I wouldn't look too closely at. By defining it more than is necessary you're going to take away your leeway as a GM. I had to learn that the hard way.

Quote:
Oh, definitely. Already wanted to start the introduction of the world by hinting at a poor rent-a-bedroom that is highly sought-after by certain shady individuals.
Cool. :-)

Quote:
I'm also considering the idea of making natives somewhat like Irruptors: when they appear, they appear with a half-convincing retcon into the rest of the dreamworld, that non-natives would notice, but natives would say their new neighbour has always been there. I think this fits the overall style of dreams.
Actually, I did exactly this. For humans they all had "pseudo-Status" that was equal to 0 plus any levels of Wealth gained Status or bought Status and a reasonable background - but it was all bunk. They didn't have anything to go with the status level people just treated them that way. This was a feature, if they wanted to operate in both worlds I treated status as a slashed statistic. The first was the status for your world and thesecond was for the other. You bought your world's status normally, but for the other world you bought it at as a alternate ability. For critters, I gave them all "Dependency (Hourly; Aether particles)" with aether particles being the literal stuff of dreams. This meant that most of the time they just die after a while - but I allowed a HT roll to shake off the effects of the Dependency allowing them to become "real" instead of living dreams. This is where most mythological beasts in our world came from - also vampires, werewolves, and the like.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote