View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #43
Calvin

Default Re: How Would GURPS Rules Need To Be Changed For A Computer Game?

More than once I've considered putting together a GURPs combat simulator or GURPS specific VTT, similar to how MegaMek works for BattleTech. Could even get some basic enemy AI for testing new character builds. The trouble is that it's not worth the effort. SJ Games has a rather old fashioned view to even extremely basic rules automation, so I imagine that something that complex would need to be for my own personal use only unless I wanted about a million C&Ds.

I do tend to run my GURPs campaigns sort of like a computer RPG though, using prototypes of the above built in Maptool. I had one thousand line macro that would allow a user to click on a target, select their weapn, turns of aiming, number of rounds fired, etc. Then it would calculate the number of hits, roll the enemy's active defence automatically, check hit locations (using the more complex LT table), calculate for location specific DR, apply the wound modifer, and then apply any special effects for that location being wounded (limbs/joints/extremities crippled, etc), make stunning and knockdown rolls, and death checks.

Of course, Maptool's parser is awful and that macro would cause stack overflow errors on some machines, but it worked quite well on my machine at least. Combats that should have taken hours would only last minutes, and I was able to use the more complex and detailed rules without the extra overhead. I want to go back and recode it in something else, maybe fantasy ground's lua code or Maptool's new JS implementation, but Ive been holding back since however well it turns out I won't be able to share it.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote