View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
copeab

Default Re: How balanced is GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundt
I have been playing 4ed for a few months and have been considering trying GURPS as a GM. However, I really don't have a good sense of how balanced GURPS is in terms of combat opponents. I know from experience what and how many opponents to throw at a party when I GM other games (you cannot rely on CR in DnD, its pretty variable), but I don't have that sense for GURPS.
  • In GURPS, if I put a 100pt monster/opponent up against a 100pt character, will it be a fair fight?
  • How likely is a 100 point character going to beat a 50pt monster/opponent? 75pt? 90pt? (all other things being equal).
  • What sort of point differential between the characters and their opponents is best to walk that line between challenging and sure death?
  • Do multiple opponents add linearly? E.g. will a 100pt character defeat three 30pt monsters?
Disclaimer: This is from 3e experience.

The answers to pretty much all of your questions is "highly variable." It all depends less on overall point total than skilll levels with the weapons to be used, damage of the weapons to be used, DR of the armor worn and HT of the combatants.

Oh, I'll add that three 30 point opponents are more dangerous than one 90 point opponent (in general).

Brandon
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote