View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #127
Icelander

Default Re: What Happens to the PCs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
If only they could be so lucky.
Well, they get friendly local law enforcement for their 100 points in the Patron Advantage. Federal and state law enforcement can sputter in fury and drag them through bureaucratic gauntlets, but while Sheriff Trochesset backs them to the hilt and they technically have a legal warrant, no amount of official displeasure from Austin or D.C. can seriously harm them.

Though I'll grant that such important authority figures as a senior Texas Ranger, FBI agent or even a US Attorney (or at least an Assistant US Attorney) would not be nice Enemies to have moving forward, even if they were just (Watcher) or (Rival) level. Have to hope that the PCs can handle the aftermath with enough grace, diplomacy and tact to smooth some of those ruffled feathers.

Lacoste may be prone to reckless and hard to explain behaviour, but he's also a legendary detective formerly of the NOPD, decorated for heroism and extremely popular with any cop who has worked with him (+2 to +10 Reaction bonus from most cops, depending on a variety of factors; Savoir-Faire (Police) -20). And Teddy Smith, while no charmer, at least spent more than ten years as an NCO and is an expert at Administration. He knows when to turn in exact paperwork and say absolutely nothing more than he has to.

Quote:
I'm going to assume the gunshot was either the work of Alice Talbot (who I believe you stated escaped the scene prior to the authorities knowing she was ever on boards) or Nonc Morel (who tends to do similar vanishing acts), to eliminate a sacrifice who had clearly been possessed by Something.
It was Alice and for exactly the reason you state. 'Nonc' Morel doesn't kill people.

In fact, 'Nonc' Morel tried his best to stop Alice from killing Ms. Alba. As Lacoste and 'Nonc' proved, it was possible to expel the possessing entity without murder, although I'll grant that there was no guarantee that this would have succeeded in this case before more people died. However, while shooting Ms. Alba might theoretically have been justifiable, it is perhaps even harder to explain why it was necessary to slash, cut and stab her several times and put six bullets in her kidneys, spine and heart before executing her with the last bullet.

Quote:
I recently read back through the rest of this thread, and couldn't help but wonder if Raul might have considered going to the PC's for help, given his Secret Masters had basically ordered him to do the near-impossible or face horrifying consequences. This is why ruling through fear falls apart when faced with highly-competent foes - it's rather in your minions' interest to betray you as soon as someone who can defeat you and is likely to treat them better shows up. "Fail and I'll kill you" backfires if a potential failure mode involves getting captured, as it leaves them with betraying you as the best option for survival. A shame Raul didn't opt for the betrayal before having his men murder a number of LEO's and a paramedic...
Yes, this is why, in general, a sensible Evil Overlord should aim to treat his employees firmly, but fairly, not punishing them for events beyond their control and reward honesty, even if your minions are telling you upsetting truths. Abusive managment styles just lead to poor performance. Also, loyalty enforced through threats tends to be very volatile, as you note. Once Raul Sandoval was sure that his bosses would seek to visit upon him a fate worse than death for his failure, switching sides to any enemy of your old masters that appear powerful becomes the only rational choice.

Quote:
Apologies I can't really add anything to the discussion of jurisdictions and political jockeying, but I do rather enjoy reading about the events of your campaign.
It's always good when people can derive enjoyment from one's modest little amusements.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-15-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote