View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Creating Improvised Post Apocalyptic Guns (Steampunk Post Apocalyptic Game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Not really. The base of the shell, with its rim and its primer pocket is the hard part, and having lots of cartridge-sized tubing doesn't help with that part.
Easy is relative. Drawing brass from cups stamped from strips of high quality brass is easy, if you've got the proper set up. It's much harder for a smaller operation to manage. On the other hand, using hydraulic presses and a variety of dies and punches to shape copper tubing is something an individual can do, as is using solder and a gas torch to "weld" copper plugs and rings to the base of the tube. If you have enough round stock and a lathe, or even just a drill press you can use an extremely wasteful method to produce shells. Quality on all these methods other than a commercial set-up is likely to be hit and miss, and reliability should be low.

The primers, fair enough, are the truly hard part. I don't really know how you would make them. I mean, I have an idea of the rough process, but I don't think I could, for example, manufacture them. The guy who knows how to make your primers would certainly be someone who should have a lot of respect in a post apocalyptic setting.

Given the tremendous advantages bolt action or semi-auto's offer over muzzle loading firearms, I'd expect that people would try to keep them operational, even if they had to kludge together haphazard solutions.