View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #105
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: 25% of Starting Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The issue of children is why I give them a 'maturation' pool of CP to children according to their age. Infants have a pool of 290 CP, 5-year-olds have a pool of 160 CP, 10-year-olds have a pool of 60 CP, and 15-year-olds have a pool of 0 CP. The fact that they have a pool of CP they cannot access except through growth is balanced by the fact that they can grow without effort.
I usually do something like that too, and think it's realistic; a 5-year-old doesn't have to do weight training to be stronger by the age of 15. Something very similar is RAW in GURPS Third Edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Exceptional children might just be benefiting from early maturation, as a surprising number of exceptional children seem to become average adults (girls are notorious for reaching their adult ST before boys). 5-year-old child with IQ 12 might be a genius compared to their peers, but they might just have reached their adult IQ 12 before their peers, meaning that they will just be bright as an adult....
Remember, though, that GURPS IQ is very different from the IQ as measured by a test (I think it specifically says that in Third Edition, but it applies to Fourth as well). GURPS IQ is not just inherent intelligence, it's not just the basis for Perception and Will, it measures life experience (which is why defaults come from it). The kid at 12 is not likely to have the same level of life experience they'll have at 15.

Admittedly, they'll have more life experience at 30, but GURPS largely reflects that by them having more years to earn and spend points.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote